I had a lovely time playing paper with Jane yesterday. She made a wonderful card for her Father in law while I took care of computer and online order business. I didn’t have as much time to be creative….I did however have an (in progress) project to pull out. I’m trying to give new life to some old projects by reworking them….in this case…the shabby chic trunk I had painted for a summer project. I filled it with treasures given to me from Jane…little bits and pieces…you know the really good kind of treasure.
The trunk used to contain vintage beach scenes…but I think it just really wanted to be filled with Christmas goodies.
Pretty roses frosted with glitter from J.
I filled the silvery light reflector with some painted bells, and layered it behind an inked and glittered chipboard snowflake. Trims in yummy cremes from Really Reasonable Ribbon are topped off with vintage buttons and give wonderful texture. The antique color looks great against the painted paper mache trunck.
Another chipboard piece….this time from Dusty Attic nestled in amongst sparkly stars shapes on stems from J. I wound some burlap trim with pink stripe to the acrylic sheets to help fill in the space…and it give me a place to tuck in some sweet vintage images.
Another large chipboard snowflake here…with some sweet little dimensional trees to fill in this corner. The beautiful vintage image in the back is from Graphic’s Fairy. A little bit of a darker colors to anchor the lightness from the rest of the project. I added a few more buttons to the edge for texture.
It’s a bit easier to see the dimension from the side. I filled the trunk from front to back. The inside lid of the trunk is covered in a sheet from and antique hymnal. The paper has aged perfectly to give in an authentic old look. The acrylic sheets hold up the images and are wrapped in that fabulous burlap trim from Really Reasonable Ribbon.
This side view shows off the yummy little goodies inside better. To support all the bits and pieces…the trunk is filled with floral foam…and the exposed areas were covered with scrunched bits from an old sewing pattern. I casually draped a tassel over this side to balance the roses and seam binding on the other corner. The pink sheet in the back was just a little scavenged scrap that I inked and added some pearly accents to. The button card image is one of my favorites as you can tell by how often I use it : ) Last but not least….I topped off the last acrylic sheet with a bit of cream colored Penelope lace. It’s attached very casually with some super tiny paper clips from Tim Holtz.
A big thanks to Jane for being my very dear friend…and for all the yummy little treasures for my project….and for the encouragement to pull it out and finish it. I just love how it turned out…and how sentimental all the bits and pieces are : )
I hope I’ve motivated you to rethink an old project… it was a great way to make some holiday decor that fits into the shabby chic theme of my shop. Wishing you all a happy and productive day….and I hope you find some time to be creative. G