I started out with the title of my post being… “It all started with…” Completely accurate…but a tad bit obscure. It did start with the most dreamy mocha colored crepe paper streamer. Having no idea where my project would lead…I happily rolled out long strips and applied silvery glitter. I thought to myself that it was an odd color crepe…never seen it at any parties I’ve been to anyway. But wouldn’t make the most beautiful ruffles on a dress??? Light bulb moment!!! I should warn you that I am neither a fashion designer or a seamstress. I have barely mastered sewing straight lines! No problem there…I’ll just hot glue LOL. : ) I should also warn you that I should never use the glue gun…or glitter unless under the supervision of another more responsible adult. The shop is a big sparkly mess, and I’ve burned every single finger. Oh well…we all suffer to be creative right?
See I told ya it was great crepe paper! I actually doodled out my design before I started and I’m happy to announce it looks nothing like my drawing! I cut and pieced together pretty paper from Graphic 45 to make a base.
The sheet music ruffles were made with an image from Graphics Fairy. I cut them into strips…then ran them all through the crimper. Once I had them all ruffly I glued on the layers…starting from the bottom. Each layer got a bit smaller up to the waist. Lot’s of twisting and gluing…gives her skirt fullness. I used the glittered crepe here…but only on every 3rd layer. So she wouldn’t look like a Las Vegas showgirl. Personal note…I don’t have anything against showgirls or Las Vegas…just not in a vintage inspired dress : )
Her bodice has the paper base showing…then I added twisted strips of the crepe and hand inked paper roses. I wanted the bust to look like rousing (spell check says that’s right) I only know of the rousing from the many episodes of” Say Yes to The Dress.” Please someone leave me a comment if I have the right word and spelling so I can correct it before I look like a big idiot. I gave her some bling…and a pretty little ornamental necklace.
Here is the back of the skirt. This was a lot…I repeat…a lot of work but well worth it : ) I have one more of these wire dress forms…maybe I’ll work on the other one tomorrow…or wait til my fingers have healed up : )